Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fruity Platz (plus bonus gluten free adaptation)


Five years ago, I was wringing my hands over what to bring to a little soiree with friends. It was casual and light and my usual standby desserts were heavy and rich. I stumbled upon a platz recipe and fell in love. I've tweeked it a bit over the years a few different ways. This is my final version and it is excellente'.

Ingredients:

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c unbleached white flour
1/2 c sugar
1/4 cup xylitol
1/4 cup Stevia in the Raw
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 c butter
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 c milk
1 1/2 c berries or cherries

**** Gluten free adaptations:

I have made this recipe subbing 2 c Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free flour and had excellent results. I would also suggest adding a splash of extra milk and possibly a 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum to the flour. The flavor will be a bit stronger, so you may also want to throw in a splash of vanilla to balance that out.

Directions:

Preheat your over to 350F. Grease and flour a 9" square or round pan. Glass works the best with these, I've found, and you don't get any weird teflon in your food.

Mix all the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter with a fork. Some genius suggested freezing the butter, then using a cheese grater to mince it. I know- genius. Unfortunately, I'm usually flying by the seat of my pants, so this never works out for me, but it is a fab idea.

At this point, you'll want to pull a bit of the crumbly butter mixture and set it aside for the topping. The original recipe suggests 3/4 cup, which I discovered immediately was a ton. Like, wow. So much topping. I mean, really? How much of that do you need? I generally reserve 1/4 cup and even then I often times feel like it's just too much.

Mix the eggs and milk into the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Toss about half of your fruit in at this point and gently mix. This is my preference here. I prefer getting berriliciousness in every bite, and it allows me to cut back on the sugar/sweetener. Sprinkle the remaining berries on the top of your batter, then sprinkle on the crumbs.

Bake for 45-90 minutes. I know, it's a huge window, but this bad boy does not want to be predictable. The 25 minutes called for in the original recipe is a joke. You will definitely need at least 45 minutes, depending on your pan, your oven, etc. I test it every 15 minutes after the first 45.

Here is the gluten free version:

And here is the traditional:

No comments:

Post a Comment