Monday, February 20, 2012

Johnny Marzetti


Johnny Marzetti is a recipe you may or may not be familiar with. It's a baked pasta dish- kind of like a cross between a lasagna and a mac'n cheese.

I first stumbled across it several years ago when my husband and I were poor(er) and I was much less experienced as a cook. The ingredients are basic and the directions are foolproof.

I originally used this recipe, but now that I've made my own little modifications to make it healthier and Biblically kosher.

Ingredients:

8 oz noodles (I use Ancient Harvest quinoa/corn noodles. They're organic, non-gmo and gluten free.)
1 lb ground beef, turkey, chicken or buffalo
1 lg sweet onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 lg bell pepper, chopped
minced garlic to taste
a handful of white mushrooms, chopped (this can be omitted without issue, if you don't eat mushrooms)
Homemade tomato soup*
Homemade cream of mushroom soup* (this can be replaced with cream of chicken, cream or celery or just a plain white sauce to omit the mushrooms.)
3/4 c shredded cheese
4 slices Horizon Organic American cheese (While not labeled as kosher, this cheese is rennet-free and vegetarian, so there you have it.)
Salt and pepper to taste

*There are some kosher, organic, healthy condensed soups out there, but most canned condensed soups are not kosher and are loaded with salt, MSG, HFCS and other unhealthy things. It's super easy to make your own versions at home. A friend shared this link with me and I've tried several varieties. It's super easy. My recommendation is to make several batches of soups and freeze them, that way anytime you run into a recipe that calls for condensed soup you'll be prepared.
Directions:
Preheat your over to 350F and grease a big fat casserole dish (9x13" will do).
Cook your noodle to al dente (basically, slightly firmer than you'd like, but not teeth-shatteringly hard. I'd say, knock a couple minutes of the cooking directions on the box).
Cook up your meat and veggies in a big ol' skillet. Drain any excessive grease and add your soups.
Put half of your noodles in your dish, pour half of your meat mixture over them, and sprinkle half your shredded cheese on top. Repeat.
Lay your American cheese over that for extra cheesiness.
Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment